Male, #952, (about 1632 - 5 January 1718)
Obadiah Ward was born about 1632 in England.1,2,3,4,5,6 He was the son of Deacon William Ward.1,7,2,6 Obadiah Ward immigrated with Deacon William Ward and Elizabeth unknown, his parents, about 1638 to Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts.2,3,8 Obadiah Ward lived in 1653 in Sudbury, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, where he was assigned land.3,4,5,6 He was granted land in 1657 in Marlborough, Middlesex County, Massachusetts. In 1661 in Marlborough, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, Obadiah Ward was one of three men contracted to erect the frame for the minister's house.3 He was a lawyer, or at least is so appears, as it was he who bought the case against Thomas Rice for non payment of assessments on 6 April 1664 in Cambridge.3 On 28 November 1667 Obadiah, married Mary unknown, in Marlborough, Middlesex County, Massachusetts.1,3,4,9,6 Obadiah Ward served on 9 May 1689 in Marlborough, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, as the Delegate to the Council for Safety of the People and Conservation of the Peace and served again on 22 May and 5 June 1689.3 He served between 1690 and 1691 in Marlborough, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, as a Representative to the Massachusetts General Court for Marlborough. This was the period between the removal of Governor Andros and the new Royal Charter.4,3 He died on Wednesday, 5 January 1718 in Marlborough, Middlesex County, Massachusetts.1,7,3,4,6 Ward (1851) gives him a second marriage to Joanna Mixer in error.6
Children of Obadiah Ward and Mary unknown
- Alice Ward3,4,6 (14 Nov 1668 - )
- William Ward3,6 (7 Jan 1670 - 8 Jun 1731)
- Obadiah Ward3,4,6 (18 Sep 1672 - 14 Mar 1752)
- Bethiah Ward3,4,6 (Jan 1674 - 7 Jun 1674)
- Mary Ward3,4,6 (4 May 1676 - )
- Jane Ward3,10,6 (3 Mar 1677 - )
- Edmund Ward3,4,6 (21 Jan 1679 - )
- Sarah Ward3,4,6 (29 Jan 1681 - )
- Richard Ward3,4,6 (26 Apr 1683 - )
- Elizabeth Ward3,4,6 (4 Dec 1685 - 21 Jan 1730)
- Hannah Ward3,4,6 (3 Jan 1688 - 23 Feb 1740)
- Eleazer Ward3,4,6 (2 Nov 1689 - )
- Prudence Ward3,4,6 (25 (???) 1691 - )
- Paige, Lucius R. History of Cambridge, Massachusetts 1630-1877 with a Genealogical Register. 1877. Reprint Bowie, Maryland: Heritage Books, 1986.
- Hudson, Alfred Sereno. The History of Sudbury, Massachusetts 1638-1889. 1889. Reprint Sudbury, Massachusetts: The Sudbury Press, 1968.
- Martyn, Charles. The William Ward Genealogy - The History of the Descendants of William Ward of Sudbury, Mass. 1638-1925. New York: Artemas Ward, 1925.
- Hudson, Charles. History of the Town of Marlborough, Middlesex County, Massachusetts from its First Settlement in 1657 to 1861 with a Brief Sketch of the Town of Northborough. Boston: T.R. Marvin & Son, 1862.
- Crane, Ellery Bicknell. Historic Homes and Institutions and Genealogical and Personal Memoirs of Worcester County, Massachusetts. New York: The Lewis Publishing Co., 1907.
- Ward, Andrew Henshaw. Ward Family: Descendants of William Ward. Boston: Samuel G. Drake, 1851.
- Ward, Andrew Henshaw. History of the Town of Shrewsbury, Massachusetts From Its Settlement in 1717 to 1829, with Other Matter Relating thereto Not Before Published, Including an Extensive Family Register. 1847. Reprint Bowie, Maryland: Heritage Books, 1989.
- Savage, James. A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England Showing Three Generations of Those Who Came Before May 1692 on the Basis of Farmer's Register. volume IV. Boston: Little, Brown and Company, 1862).
- Bailey, Frederic W.. Early Massachusetts Marriages Prior to 1800 - Worcester County. New Haven, Connecticut: Bureau of American Ancestry, 1914.
- Ward, Andrew Henshaw. "Sudbury Records", The New England Historical and Genealogical Register volume XVII (1863).